Did you know that May 15th is National Pizza Party Day (not to be confused with National Pizza Day, which occurs on February 9th)? Neither did I! So to help celebrate, I’ve pulled together some fun facts, recipes, and decorating ideas to enjoy this day in safer-at-home-pie-fashion!
- Pizza is the Italian term for pie?
- Bakers from Naples were the first people to prepare a dish known as ‘pizza’ back in the 1600s.
- In the United States, the most popular pizza topping is pepperoni, then green peppers, ham, mushrooms, and sausage.
- America considers Italian pizza as the most popular ethnic food in the country.
- Saturday night is the ‘pizza night’ of the week worldwide. It is in our house, too!
So how does one take all of this unless pizza-info and use it to create a pizzarific party? Pizza parties are actually quite easy! Since you likely already have the menu figured out (duh, it’s pizza,), decorations will be the next step. Here are some easy-peasy-pizza go-tos:
- Make some easy pizza cutouts with construction paper.
- Ask your local pizzeria for an extra take-out box or 2 and use those to decorate your space.
- Candy in jars is a fun, easy, and cheap way to add color to your space. I found so many different types of candy on Amazon, but if you’re short on time, M & M’s are always a great alternative. Just choose the colors you want and sort them into different clear jars or containers.
- Find some fun Italian-inspired music. Music always changes the mood of the room!
Now, for the fun part – the food! Will you make your own or order out? Frozen or fresh? How many toppings and what kind? Do you want salad with that? NO, IT’S PIZZA NIGHT! No matter what, keep it simple with some of our family favorites.
- English Muffin Pizzas. This allows each person to choose their own toppings. The only drawback is, because of the size, you can’t load them too full. My kids love this and it was one of my childhood favorites!
- Create Your Own. If you’ve never had Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough, you are missing out! There are about a half-dozen varieties (including gluten-free and whole wheat) and they all are amazing. Check out this recipe for one of their favs! If you don’t have a TJ’s near you, any refrigerated crescent dough will work, too.
- Frozen. Again, the choices are endless, but our family’s favorite is Wild Mike’s Ultimate Pizza. Wild Mike’s is an ultra-premium product that features high quality ingredients, including their signature zesty sauce made from scratch. Even if you don’t like frozen pizza, give this one a try and you won’t be disappointed.
- Take-Out, because who actually wants to cook during a party? I’m sure you have a family favorite, but if not, support local and try something new!
Share your own pie-in-the-sky thoughts and ideas with me! Buon divertimento e buona fortuna!